After being discussed for many years, a small group of heteropterists got together in the spring of 1997 to form what is now called the International Heteropterists’ Society. The Society was incorporated as a nonprofit organization in the city of Washington, DC, USA, 29 December 1997.
The founding members (Directors) included:
- Dr. Wenjun Bu (Tianjin, China)
- Dr. Gerasimos Cassis (Sydney, Australia)
- Dr. Thomas J. Henry (Washington, DC, USA)
- Dr. John T. Polhemus (Englewood, Colorado, USA)
- Dr. Randall T. Schuh (New York, NY, USA)
Drs. Richard C. Froeschner (Washington, DC, USA), Dan A. Polhemus (Washington, DC, USA), and Thomas J. Henry served as the Society incorporators.
The International Heteropterists’ Society has meetings every four years. Since its founding, there have been six meetings, which can be explored in the Meetings section.
- First Meeting, New York (1998)
- Second Meeting, St. Petersburg (2002)
- Third Meeting, Wageningen (2006)
- Fourth Meeting, Tianjin (2010)
- Fifth Meeting, Washington D.C. (2014)
- Sixth Meeting, La Plata (2018)
- Seventh Meeting, Barcelona (2022)
- Eighth Meeting, Bangkok (2026) Upcoming!
Current Society Officers
President: Christiane Weirauch
President-Elect: Berend Aukema
Secretary: Katrina Menard
Treasurer: Scott Bundy
Web Editor: Pablo M. Dellapé
Randall T. Schuh